Two birds, one stone!
Since #WIPMarathon and this January #WriteMotivation overlap, I’m hitting these babies at once. Because I can 🙂
WIPMarathon Check-In #5 (NEW YEAR UPDATE)
Things I’m Glad I did in 2013: 2013 was a very busy year for writing and personal stuff. A quick roundup!
Writing: I could spend pages telling you how much I learned this year. Suffice it to say I am implementing it all with my WIP, and hopefully this helps me cut WAY back on self-doubt, endless revisions, endlessing sending to CPs and betas and then saying, “No, wait, I just changed 10 things!” I want more thoroughness at the start so there are less doubts and no need for 15 different revisions. Also, I placed in a few writing contests online, which boosted my confidence in a big way.
Personal: 2013 was my first full year of marriage, a year in which:
- My husband and I bought our first house.
- After being trapped in the UK for a year and a half thanks to the UKBA, I was able to visit the U.S. FOUR TIMES.
- My husband and I visited California and I played tour guide, showing him all my old hang-outs. We visited Napa, explored the Bay area, and I had the best time I’ve ever had in California.
- I finally visited the home of one of my best friends ever and meet her dogs 🙂
- I snowboarded for the first time — and actually made some turns! One of my biggest fears conquered (I won’t say I conquered snowboarding because it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I will do it again :).
- I visited Disney World for the first time, for the belated second-half of our honeymoon. It was AWESOME.
- I took numerous Writer’s Digest and LitReactor classes and attended my first writers’ conference, at Bloomsbury in London.
- I genuinely began believing I AM a writer. Still working on learning that everyone has opinions, but that I don’t need to give time to the negative ones. It’s not for someone else to tell me what work I “should” be doing with my life, and I’m more grateful than ever for the family, friends, and fellow writers who have shared their encouragement and own work with me. Thank you!! I couldn’t do it alone, because writing is NOT solitary <3
In 2014, I’d Love to Do/Be: 2014 is the year things start to take off. I can FEEL IT! Professionally, but also personally — health-wise, making time for hobbies long ignored, trying more new things, and learning to just let it go (cue Idina). Let go of negativity, let go of caring what other people think, let go of anxiety and fear, let go of being in my own way when it comes to success. I really want that more than anything.
Current WC + CC (or SC): Still working on an older project, but I have my chapters outlined for my WIP, so I plan to start drafting scenes for it this week.
WIP Issues this week: None yet!
What I learnt this week in writing: It takes longer to do the admin-type stuff than the actual writing.
What distracted me this week while writing: Back from Scotland and lots of little things to catch up on.
And now, for #WriteMotivation:
I’m keeping it simple for January. I want 50k on my WIP. Shouldn’t be impossible because I’ve outlined the entire MS. And with Rachel Aaron’s awesome 2k to 10k tactics in mind, I know I can accomplish this. See you all on Twitter! 🙂
Some photos from Christmas holidays in Scotland:
I love the Royal Mile for things like this.
Broomhall Castle, Clackmannanshire — where we were married in 2012, and where we spent New Year’s Eve and day. It was great to be back 🙂