So fellow writer Jody Neil Ruth set the challenge of answering a series of questions which I’ve put off for nearly 7 days, but now it’s blog time again for #Writemotivation so I’ll throw them all together. Sorry for my tardiness 🙂 Doesn’t help that my new-in-June MacBook Pro decided to get a dead pixel, which required a new display, and the new display 2 months later had a faulty bit that crashed the Wi-Fi, so I was given a brand new MBP on Saturday which took all weekend to restore from backup. Fun!
The Last 7 Songs I Listened To: (just now realising the potential for embarrassment here. I’m on my “Chill” iTunes playlist, so … don’t judge ;))
- Aurora – Hans Zimmer
- Songbird – Kenny G (this is the part about not judging)
- The Road of Trials – Austin Wintory
- The Secret Life of Daydreams – Jean Yves Thibaudet (Pride & Prejudice)
- Trane to Conamarra – Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
- Green Mile – Esowellnic
- Rebecca – Craig Armstrong
Last 7 Books I Read: (this is hard because I’ve been doing a lot of beta reading lately)
- The Fiery Cross – Diana Gabaldon
- Drums of Autumn – Diana Gabaldon
- Voyager – Diana Gabaldon
- Dragonfly in Amber – Diana Gabaldon
- Cross Stitch/Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
- Writing Down the Bones – Natalie Goldberg
- The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien (not the first time ;))
7 Favourite Movies: (I stink at narrowing down this category)
- LOTR trilogy (yep, one movie, I cheat. But if I had to choose, I’d say Return of the King)
- Harry Potter (I’m SO cheating here, but if I list 3 of them, Deathly Hallows Pts 1 & 2, and Prisoner of Azkaban, I’m just taking up too much real estate… deal with it!)
- Dances With Wolves
- Withnail & I
- Sliding Doors
Whew. That was hard. There are about 10 more that should technically go in my favourite-films-ever list.
7 Songs that are Significant to My Stories (two different stories):
- Raining at Sunset – Chris Thile
- How to Save a Life – The Fray
- The Cottage on the Beach – Dario Marianelli
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
- The Hospital Room – Leon Willett (Dreamfall soundtrack)
- Everybody Here Wants You – Jeff Buckley
- True Love Waits – Radiohead
7 Favourite Authors:
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- J.K. Rowling
- Simon R. Green
- Ian McEwan
- Kazuo Ishiguro
- Diana Gabaldon
- Emily Giffin
I’m going to be lazy and omit the last, which is to bestow the questionnaire on others. Not that I don’t care what others are interested in – by all means, answer away and let me know! 🙂 But I think this has made the rounds and a lot of people will have already done it, and as I’ve just amped up my job search to find something before the end of this flippin’ year, I choose not to make time to track down who’s not done it yet 🙂 Sorry.
Which brings me to my resolution last night to spend a lot more time on the 2 things most important and vital right now: finding a job, and finishing the stories I’m on. I love emailing and tweeting and all that, and I will never stop! But I need a bit of a break right now so if I’m less active, it won’t be for forever. I just really need to take the reins and get myself organised. I’ve been in limbo for way too long.
On to #Writemotivation…
1. Reach 70k word mark on WIP first rough draft.
This is looking less and less likely. As previously stated, at the start of the month, amazing Leigh gave me some much-needed feedback on MS#1 and I’m DETERMINED to finish edits for this
bastard baby by the end of the month. This month. So that I can then do #4 below.
2. Revise 1st MS based on any beta feedback received.
That’s what she said!
3. Send feedback for beta reading (if not done by end of August).
I finished one round. But I’ve acquired a lot more beta reading (yay!) since I wrote this goal. Probably not possible, because I’m going SUPER slow (boo!). Sorry, Andrew & Jamie & Rebecca. I want to be thorough! Thanks for your patience 😀
4. 1st MS x3.
Even if I do this on the last day of September, I’ll be relieved, because that’ll mean I finished the edits for MS#1 FINALLY.
5. Revise query for WIP to include changes. Done.
6. Set aside specific time weekly to read blogs/comment/cheer! Doing.
There you have it. Thanks for reading & I hope your goals are much less overblown & far more successful 😀 Chin chin!